We’re building a growing list of community partners in Metro Detroit who are dedicated to helping adults who struggle with reading. Add your expertise to the movement of people committed to advancing adults up literacy levels so that they may join the workforce of today and promote a learning environment at home.
We believe that every adult in our community should be able to read well enough to perform essential day-to-day tasks. That means that every adult in our community should be able to complete a job application, participate in training programs to improve their employment, read a medicine bottle, comprehend a food label or fill out a school form. We believe that to truly rebuild our community, we must invest in our people right here, right now. If we can repair basic literacy skills – the most fundamental building block – we are on our way to transforming Metro Detroit.
You can make a difference in the future of our community by joining a Reading Works Committee. Each committee is chaired by a member of the Reading Works Board of Directors. We are seeking skills and experience for the following committees:
- Resource Development: Assist in identifying and connecting to individuals and business that can provide financial and in-kind support.
- Finance: Assist with financial oversight of Reading Works budget and finances.
- Program Outcomes: Provide expertise and guidance in the areas of literacy, literacy tools, data collection and analysis around improving adult literacy.
- Marketing and Communications: Assist with branding, print and social media outreach to build awareness, recruit volunteers and learners, and support fundraising programs.
- Public Policy: Provide expertise in communicating literacy needs to state policy makers.
Current position opening: Administrative Associate.
For more information or to volunteer, contact Hilarie Chambers, Executive Director, or call 313-962-6202.