Your gift to Reading Works will have regional impact on improving adult literacy in metro Detroit. Through your support you will:
- Provide programs that enable individuals to fill out a job application, take an employment test or get a GED
- Teach new residents to speak and write in English so they may fully join and contribute to the fabric of our community
- Eliminate poor reading skills as a barrier to managing their household or healthcare needs
- Improve educational outcomes for children by strengthening literacy in the home
- Save costs through reduced dependency on public and social services
- Offer the simple pleasures of reading a book, a birthday card, an email
Specifically, your donations support our Impact Partners’ literacy work, for such items as:
- Materials for one-on-one tutoring
- Recruitment and training costs for volunteer tutors
- Teachers and materials for classroom instruction
- Computer support to prepare individuals for the online GED test
- Free database that measures each individual’s progress as well as provides regional data for continuous program improvement
- Assistance to established learners to overcome one-time obstacles to attending a program (such as a car repair, eye glasses, childcare, etc.)
Please make your tax-deductible gift securely online today. Arranging for an automatic monthly gift will provide even greater support to adult literacy. It’s easy, just click on “Donate” and check the box that says “Make this recurring.”
If you prefer to donate by check, please make your check payable to “Reading Works” and mail to Reading Works, 645 Griswold Street, Ste. 2600, Detroit, MI 48226.
If you are interested in sponsorship or named gift opportunities, or would like to include Reading Works in your will, please contact us at 313-962-6202.
Thank you for giving the gift of reading.